As we get older, the signs of aging begin to appear and our skin becomes thinner, drier and less resilient. The passage of time diminishes the key components that keep our skin supple, changing its very structure from the inside out and making age-related concerns more apparent. One of these components is hyaluronic acid, a naturally-occurring substance found throughout the body that helps to retain moisture and keep our skin plump and hydrated. As hyaluronic acid production declines, volume loss occurs that can make you look older than you feel. Board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Carin Gribetz , can correct that with dermal fillers. Minimally invasive, and performed at the office in as little as 15 minutes, dermal fillers like Restylane or Juvederm can restore lost volume to reduce the signs of aging. They can serve to enhance volume, fill lines and depressions, and rejuvenate.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are made of an injectable, gel-like substance and are used to add structure and fullness to the face. Most dermal fillers are composed of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar in the skin. They act to restore volume and create youthful contours without sacrificing muscle movement, providing natural-looking results that preserve your facial expressions. A minimally invasive treatment, dermal fillers are an effective alternative to surgical procedures and can treat a variety of concerns, including:
- Moderate to severe fine lines and wrinkles
- Creases and deep folds
- Hollow, sagging skin
- Age-related volume loss
- Contour deficiencies
- Skin depressions and scarring
- Marionette lines and nasolabial folds (smile lines)
- Vertical lip lines (“smoker’s lines”)
- Lip augmentation
- Hand rejuvenation
Dr. Gribetz offers a selection of dermal fillers including Juvederm and Restylane products, made from hyaluronic acid that provide safe natural- looking results that last. Whether to enhance the cheekbones, fill smile lines, or turn that frown upside down, she utilizes several different formulas to ensure highly individualized results.. Combined with an eye for detail and a high degree of precision, Dr. Gribetz will have others guessing what your secret is and provide you with a personalized experience unlike any other.
Am I a Good Candidate for Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are an effective treatment for both men and women who are concerned about the signs of aging. Since dermal fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero are made from hyaluronic acid, they are appropriate for patients regardless of skin type, with little to no risk of allergic reaction. This makes them a popular choice for replenishing lost volume in the hands and key areas of the face such as the cheeks, lips and jawline. You may be a good candidate if you:
- Have moderate to severe lines and wrinkles
- Are looking to reverse age-related volume loss in the face or hands
- Want natural, long-lasting results without surgery
- Want to preserve your facial expressions and avoid a stiff, frozen look
- Are concerened about recovery or downtime
- Prefer highly personalized treatments
- Can commit to maintenance treatments for optimal results
Ideal candidates should also have reasonable expectations and be in good health, without any active skin infections or conditions that could compromise the outcome. Dermal fillers can also be combined with other treatments such as Botox, chemical peels and laser resurfacing for more dramatic results. To help you achieve your goals, Dr. Gribetz will evaluate your skin during an in-person consultation and develop a treatment plan just for you. During this time, Dr. Gribetz will also review your concerns and expectations to recommend the filler best suited to your needs, as well as any additional services that may enhance your results.
Which Dermal Filler is Right for Me?
Dr. Gribetz offers her patients Juvederm and Restylane products, as well as Belotero, trusted brands renowned for providing beautiful, long-lasting results that complement and enhance the natural contours of the face. Both Juvederm and Restylane include a full line of hyaluronic acid-based formulas designed to meet a variety of patient needs, with subtle variations in consistency and particle size that produce different results. This provides a plethora of options. We have provided an overview of the products we offer to help you understand the nuances of different fillers and the areas that they treat. Whether you experience age-related volume loss, want to smooth away lines and wrinkles, or simply want to restore a more youthful- looking complexion, Dr. Gribetz is confident that she can help you find the formula that meets your needs.
What is Juvederm?
Juvederm is a collection of dermal fillers that use hyaluronic acid to correct the signs of aging throughout the face and restore a fuller, plumper appearance. Each Juvederm formula is designed to address specific concerns and target facial areas most affected by aging and volume loss to produce highly customized and natural-looking results. Dr. Gribetz offers the following Juvederm products:
- Juvederm Ultra — Juvederm Ultra is used to smooth away superficial lines around the nose and mouth and plump the lips.
- Juvederm Ultra Plus — Juvederm Ultra Plus is a thicker formula used to address deeper lines and wrinkles, nasolabial folds and marionette lines. It can also add volume and fill in facial depressions for more dramatic results.
- Juvederm Voluma — Juvederm Voluma is formulated with Vycross technology, resulting in a highly crosslinked gel that gives excellent lifting capacity and lasts longer . This unique formula is an excellent choice for lifting the cheeks or chin by adding volume.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler that minimizes the signs of aging by adding fullness and volume where you need it most. Formulated using non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA), Restylane products create a firmer texture and add more lift than other brands, with improved tissue integration for lasting results. Restylane is known for being the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler approved in the U.S. and continues to provide outstanding results with new and improved formulas designed to address a variety of concerns. The following are about the Restylane products used by Dr. Gribetz.
- Restylane — The original formula, Restylane continues to a good choice for age-related concerns in the lips and lower face. By adding volume in areas with moderate to severe wrinkling, Restylane is often used to soften the appearance of marionette lines, smooth away nasolabial folds, fill in creases around the mouth and volumize the lips.
- Restylane Silk — Restylane Silk is primarily used to plump up the smooth away lines around the mouth and plump the lips. Restylane Silk is made with smaller hyaluronic acid particles that are ideal for treating delicate areas.
- Restylane Lyft — Restylane Lyft is denser than other Restylane formulas, with a higher concentration of hyaluronic acid. It is ideal for deep wrinkles and contour deficiencies in the cheeks, temples, or to raise the corners of the mouth. Restylane Lyft is also a popular choice for filling in scars.
- Restylane Refyne — Restylane Refyne is made with XpresHAn Technology, an advanced formula with improved cross-linking designed to soften marionette and laugh lines. This unique gel provides more flexibility and supports your natural facial expressions.
- Restylane Defyne — Similar to Restylane Refyne, Defyne is formulated with XpresHAn Technology to support natural facial movements. Ideal for treating nasolabial folds and deeper lines around the mouth and chin, Restylane Defyne provides long-lasting and natural-looking results for deeper facial wrinkles and folds.
- Restylane Kysse – New to the market, Restylane Kyss, designed specifically for use in the lips, also uses XpressHAn technology to create a natural fill. Kyss integrates into the lip tissue and moves with talking smiling and kissing.
- Belotero –Belotero is also a hyaluronic acid filer, but uses different patented technologies, called Cohesive Poydensified Matrix and Patented Dynamic Cross-linking technology. These technologies expand the cross linked gel that is layered onto additional non- crosslinked hyaluronic acid. This creates a soft, elastic gel that integrates with adjacent soft tissues seamlessly. Belotero is ideal for fine lines and wrinkles. It also lacks lidocaine, and therefore is a good choice for patients that are sensitive to lidocaine.
What to Expect During Your Treatment
Regardless of which dermal filler is used, your procedure will be quick and comfortable, with most treatments taking less than 30 minutes to complete. This may vary depending on the treatment area and how many injections are needed to achieve your desired results. Before beginning your treatment, Dr. Gribetz will evaluate your facial features and review your goals to identify the proper injection sites. These are strategically chosen to produce your desired outcome and are based on your unique anatomy. Most formulations of filler contain lidocaine, and the injection site will be numb throughout your procedure, but many patients also elect to have a numbing cream applied to treatment areas areas to make the procedure completely pain free. Dr. Gribetz will then administer small amounts of filler using an ultrafine needle to minimize any discomfort.. Depending on the severity of your concerns, you may need multiple injections or appointments to achieve optimal results. When your injections are completed, you will apply ice to the treatment areas for a few minutes to minimize any swelling or bruising, and can then return to your daily routine.
What Can I Expect After My Appointment?
Dermal fillers are a minimally-invasive treatment with no downtime or recovery. You may experience some mild swelling or bruising at the injection sites, but if any, this will subside over the next few days. Dr. Gribetz takes great care to minimize these side effects, combining ultrafine needles with a gentle, steady hand. Adverse reactions are extremely rare with hyaluronic acid products and Dr. Gribetz will review the potential risks before your procedure to ensure a safe and positive experience.
What Kind of Results Can I Expect?
You will notice an immediate improvement in the appearance of your skin after your first treatment, but more dramatic results may take some time to develop as the filler settles into place. Depending on the formula used, your full results will become apparent within the next week or two, producing noticeably smoother, firmer skin that looks and feels younger. Although some patients achieve their aesthetic goals after just one treatment, you may need further appointments to correct severe volume loss and deeper lines or wrinkles.
How Long Will My Results Last?
Dermal fillers are not a permanent solution for volume loss and aging of the face, as the body naturally absorbs hyaluronic acid over a period of time. The longevity of your results will depend on a variety of factors, including the formula used, what areas were treated, your skincare habits, and your genetics. Most fillers last approximately 6 months, while some can last 12- 18 months. In areas that experience a lot of movement, your results may last for less time. Periodic touch-ups are an effective way to rejuvenate your skin when the effects start to fade, and Dr. Gribetz can craft an individualized maintenance plan to prolong your results. Combining dermal fillers with other rejuvenation treatments can also improve the longevity of your results, while proper skin care can keep your skin looking great on a daily basis.
Contact Dr. Carin Gribetz
If you are ready to defy the effects of aging and reclaim a more youthful complexion, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Carin Gribetz can help. Featured as one of the New York Times’ Super Doctors for the past nine years, and named as one of Castle Connolly’s Top doctors for the past six, Dr. Gribetz has the skills and experience to help you look your best at any age. Contact or call her office in New York City today at 212-289-3300 to schedule a consultation and find out what dermal fillers can do for you.